Virus Testing by RT-PCR
The gold standard for sensitivity and specificity
Acceptable for travel requirements
Test results within 48 hours
Positive results indicate an individual is currently infected with COVID-19
Specimens are collected by oral (throat) or nasopharyngeal (nose) swab
FDA Approved EUA
The cash price for this test is $125
Includes laboratory testing and specimen collection fees
Testing may be covered by private insurance, Medicaid, Medicare and other governmental reimbursers.
For more information on KSL Diagnostics test pricing and policies, see below or call 1-800-960-1080 to speak with a representative.
Click or tap here to view technical details of this test.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a COVID-19 virus test?
- A COVID-19 virus test is a RT-PCR test that detects RNA that is unique to the SARS-CoV-2 virus. The specimen for this testing is generally collected using a nasopharyngeal swab. COVID-19 virus test results are positive during infection (asymptomatic or symptomatic) and negative for individuals that have not been infected in individuals that have been infected but whose immune system has effectively cleared the virus.
What is RT-PCR?
- RT-PCR stands for Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction, a laboratory method used to detect specific RNA sequences. This is a high sensitivity laboratory method that utilizes polymerase to amplify specific genetic targets. Amplification is monitored and indicative of the presence of the target if amplification is successful. RT-PCR generally produces results within a few hours.
What is SARS-CoV-2?
- SARS-CoV-2 is the abbreviation for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2, the virus that caused coronavirus disease-2019, also known as COVID-19 or novel coronavirus disease.
What can my COVID-19 test results tell me?
- Consult this table for basic interpretation of results. This is a guide. Please consult your healthcare provider assistance with your diagnosis and more detailed information.
How much does the test cost and who pays for it?
The cost for COVID-19 Virus Testing by RT-PCR (CPT Code U0004) or COVID-19 IgG, IgM, IgA Antibody Testing by CLIA (CPT Codes 86769 x3) is $100 per test, plus $25 for specimen collection ($125 total for each test). Learn more about Antibody CLIA testing here. Testing may be covered by private insurance, Medicaid, Medicare and other governmental reimbursers. If you have specific questions, please call KSL at 1-800-960-1080 to speak with a representative.
Does insurance cover this test?
- Insurance will generally only cover testing for patients with suspected COVID-19 exposure and symptoms consistent with COVID-19. For all other COVID-19 testing needs—including travel, pre-operative, and elective COVID-19 testing—please contact your insurance company.
Are these tests approved by FDA?
- The COVID-19 tests currently offered by KSL are approved by FDA through Emergency Use Authorization (EUA).
How can I be tested?
- KSL offers local specimen draws and specimen collection kits for physicians and health care providers throughout the US. Kits may be ordered by calling 1-800-960-1080 or completing a request on the website.